Sunday, March 6, 2011

Let’s get it started!

I am starting tonight with my change to a new, healthy me. My goal is not necessarily to lose weight (though that would be wonderful) but to be healthy and strong. I am not using any particular diet (Weight Watchers, South Beach, Atkins, NutriSystem, Jenny Craig, etc) but to eat healthy as a whole. I do plan to start back up with my food journal, though. I find that extremely helpful and important. I say I am starting it tonight, because tonight I went grocery shopping with the intention of buying only healthy foods. (I did get some chocolate milk mix, but that is for the Gulick men who for some reason can't live without it) This is not the first time I have shopped this way, but it has been a good while. I made my menu for the week and then my list off of that so I would not go crazy and buy everything that seemed appealing.

I found myself half way through my trip wishing I had been more specific with item labeled "cereal" on my list. Do you know how many options there are of cereals that call themselves healthy? It's ridiculous. I am notorious for not wanting to make decisions on certain things, especially when it comes to food. So, true to form, I texted a close friend who seems to be doing well in the healthy living category. They told me about this Kashi-Go Lean (all registered trademarks) cereal. It looks gross… kinda like feed for a gerbil, hamster, or guinea pig. But they ASSURED me that it was tasty. I figured why not. It was about the same price as the other cereals. Plus, why ask for an opinion if I am not going to take it? Then they decided to go ahead and suggest a milk to have with it. Now I am a Skim milk kinda gal. I see no reason to go and get Vanilla flavored Almond milk unless of course you are lactose intolerant, vegan, or have some other reason as to why you can't drink milk from a cow. Plus, my husband LOVES to pick on me. I could immediately see him calling me a Diva and somehow turning the milk's name to Princess Erika's Special Milk (in one of his many versions of my voice) or something worse. I could also see him sneaking into it and drinking all of it before I got the chance to try it. Then I realized I was making a huge deal out of a $3 "tasty" jug of milk. Why not try it? In the health facts they were very similar. Except the Almond milk had more vitamins and minerals. I could use more of those!! So I bought it. I also bought the other milk for the boys. I am sure the chocolate milk mix would be great in the almond milk, but there is really no need for that. J

I am actually looking forward to breakfast tomorrow! Cereal was not on the menu until Wednesday, but I am sure I will live with this slight change. I would have tried it tonight, but seeing as I was not hungry from the TOTALLY unhealthy dinner I had it would have been counterproductive to do.

I know being healthy is not only about food. I must exercise. There is just no time for me to go to the gym with the schedule I have right now. So, I am going to start the 30 day Shred (courtesy of my sister). My sister is moving at the moment so it is packed somewhere, but she assures me that it will be found soon. Therefore, I will be going back to my old frienemy, Mari Winsor, until I can start my torture with Jillian Michaels. I would do my –The Firm- workout, but it is also packed with my sister's belongings. I have had great results in the past with these 2 workouts and I hope with the change in my eating I will see some kind of results soon.

Oh yeah!! I almost forgot. Today I had a full length picture taken of me. I figure this could be my "before" picture. This way I can document my process through pictures. I am debating if I should wear the same shirt and take my pic every week or once a month to see if I can see any physical changes…. I still need to think about that some more.

Well that is all for today.

Erika

No comments:

Post a Comment